Thank you for your interest in our Summer 2017 program.
Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances we will no longer be available to offer a program this June.
Thank you again for your interest! We hope to be able to offer the program Summer 2018.
Be part of this a wonderful opportunity to share our American culture and language with Spanish students from Gredos San Diego Colegios (GSD) in the Community of Madrid.
Students from Spain are seeking a cultural & linguistic immersion experience through participation in everyday life of their American counterparts. Our Spanish Families are seeking opportunities for their students to practice and gain greater growth in their English language abilities.
Families of our American students are looking to not only share their home, culture and everyday life but to all increase cross-cultural understanding in their home and in their community.
Gredos San Diego Colegios (GSD) is a cooperative school with eight campuses throughout the Community of Madrid. The schools offer educational opportunities from pre-primary to vocational education courses, with students ranging in age from 0 – 18 years. Match the People offer multiple programs around the globe for students at GSD and beyond. This three-week American Immersion experience is only one of the many offered.
In 2014 & 2015, the Bellevue School District and Gredos San Diego Colegios collaborated to offer a teaching exchange program. My husband, Jeff Rierson, was was chosen to be the Bellevue School District’s inaugural teacher to participate in the international exchange with GSD and we moved our family of five to Spain for the 2014-2015 school year.
He has been a Chemistry teacher at Interlake High School since 2005 and began his career at Sammamish High School in 2001.
The summer of 2016 was my first year of welcoming Spanish students to the Greater Seattle area and matching the students with American host families.
It was amazingly touching to see and hear the relationships formed between the students and families. I look forward to providing even more families and students the opportunity to create international friendships and cross-cultural experiences.
Our summer hosting opportunity requires native-English speaking host families to have a child ages 13 – 17 years old and be living in the Greater Seattle area.
The immersion students will be of the equivalent age, in good academic standing and undergone through a rigorous application process.
Applications from American host families are accepted until May 1st or until all of our placements are secured. The profiles of our arriving immersion students will be available in late Spring for families to read and for us to match families.
Details of the Program:
- Summer Hosting dates: approximately June 23rd – July 14th, 2018
- Families must be available over the entire duration of the program to be considered. Spanish students are free to travel in the U.S. while with your family.
- Spanish students will not be attending classes or programs while participating in this immersion experience. Students are expected to participate in everyday life with your family.
- American host families are expected to have English as the primary language spoken in their household and to converse with the Spanish students in English as much as possible.
- Summer host families must have a teenager ages 13 – 17 years and be living in the Greater Seattle area.
- Summer host families must have a bed space that can be dedicated to the Spanish Immersion student. However, it is not necessary for students to have their own room. Sharing a bedroom with your same-gendered/similar-aged teenager is acceptable.
- The Spanish Immersion students are required to apply, have prior school travel experience, and will be chosen based on their academic standing and maturity level.
- American families must submit an application so that we may best match our Spanish Immersion students with a similar American Host family.
- A small stipend will be provided to families to offset the daily living expenses of their Spanish Immersion student.
- American host families are expected to welcome their Spanish students into their home as if they were a member of the family. This includes providing meals, transportation, and inclusion in family activities as they would for their own children.